Have a Plan
Every employee can take some simple steps to prepare for and respond to potential emergencies. Having an emergency supply kit, making a family emergency plan and staying informed will help you to respond appropriately.
- Familiarize yourself with this Web site.
- Take note of your building's floor plan and exit routes.
- Participate in fire drills and safety training programs.
- Report all work-related injuries, illnesses, and hazardous material spills.
- Familiarize yourself with your department's emergency plan and Continuity of Operations plan. Make note of the meeting place for your unit or department.
- Prepare and disseminate telephone trees and contact information for your unit or floor, and be sure you have the most recent contact information.
- Keep a flashlight and battery-operated radio nearby.
- Locate the nearest fire extinguisher and fire alarm. Learn to use a fire extinguisher.
- Know where to find university emergency information and basic first aid materials.
- Prepare yourself and your family at home so they know what to do if you are involved in an emergency, including where to go and how to cope until you're able to get home.