Search Selection Criteria
The following is a summary of the selection criteria that the New Mexico State University Board of Regents propose following the input from the listening sessions:
NMSU's President will be an experienced and successful, visionary leader with significant accomplishments in the key areas described below. It is strongly preferred that the accomplishments and experience of the candidate(s) is obtained in a land-grant university. It is also preferred that the candidate have experience with the unique aspects of the State of New Mexico and a deep appreciation of the diverse culture and interests of our state.
- Held a top leadership position with a demonstrated record as a change agent who does not settle for the status quo institutional thinking and who can respond quickly and effectively to the challenges facing higher education while ensuring collaboration and connection between multiple stakeholders within and external to the organization.
- Possess a strong business acumen and ability to apply business methodology within the higher education arena to ensure internal efficiency, long-term and short-term planning, marketing and branding, budgetary and fiscal leadership, and an overall outcome-driven focus. Aggressively and effectively positions the institution as the leader among its peer institutions.
- Create a culture of accountability, ownership, and sustainability through viable succession planning, effective personnel leadership, and internal collaborative engagement.
Creates Collective Engagement and Impact:
- Possess a demonstrated track record in creating and leading complex higher education systems which effectively (not superficially) integrate community colleges and four-year institutions in a meaningful manner while leveraging strong public education ties to ensure both workforce and economic development. Embrace a "K-20 education system" philosophy and demonstrate a track record of removing the typical siloes and barriers within these systems.
- Possess a demonstrated track record of cultivating strong relationships and connectivity with a diverse set of stakeholders including governing boards, donors, business and industry leaders, local communities served, faculty, students, alumni, and government. Have a background and communication style that creates a natural connection with and understanding of a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Possess a demonstrated track record in creating continuous collaborative initiatives and a common focus with diverse stakeholders thereby creating a significantly larger impact.
- Possess a demonstrated track record of creating an environment that fosters and rewards a collaborative culture.
Resource Development - Fund Raising:
- Has a demonstrated track record of ensuring an environment that maximizes the potential dollars available from donors, and alumni. Ensures aggressive and creative practices are established and personally engages in activity as needed
- Has a demonstrated track record in developing and sustaining a university as a leader in generating research dollar awards and long term planning in a fiscally viable manner.
- Understands the uniqueness of the New Mexico legislative process and has a demonstrated track record in creating bipartisan support for higher education funding while demonstrating fiscal accountability and integrity for such funding.
- Has a demonstrated record in maximizing the return on investment of the athletic programs and is a leader in generating funds and community support from such programs.
Land-grant University Experience:
- Strongly preferred with an academic emphasis in agriculture or engineering programs which have been NMSU founding heritage.
Appreciation for New Mexico's Culture:
- Possess a deep appreciation for and understanding of New Mexico's unique and diverse culture.