Emergency Numbers
Table of Contents
1. EH&S Policy
2. Occupational Injury
3. Public Safety
4. Emergencies
5.  Injury/Illness
6. Asbestos
7. Hazardous Waste
8. Bio Waste
9. Rad Waste
10. Recycling
11. HazCom & DHS
12. Office Safety
13. Lab Safety
14 Shop Safety
15 Personal Protection
16. Hazard Evaluation
17. Safe Lifting
18. Safety Policies
19. Warning Signs
20. Safety Services
21. Non-lab Training
22. Research Training
23. Training classes
Location Map


All illnesses and injuries occurring from workplace activities  must be reported.  Steps to take in identifying incidents and seeking treatment are as follows:

Employee Incident Reporting

Any work-related injury or illness, no matter how minor, must be reported to your supervisor at the time of the incident using form NOA-1 "Notice of Accident."  Examples of injuries/illness include but are not limited to: scratches, bruises, burns, dust in eyes, headaches from breathing fumes or vapors, splinters, dislocated joints, broken bones, cuts, muscle strains, particles in the eyes, etc.  Form NOA-1 must be submitted immediately after the incident to be considered for workers compensation.  In addition, report all near misses to your supervisor so that actions can be taken to prevent future occurrences that might not miss.

Supervisor's Reports and Investigation

Your supervisor is required to complete WCA Form E1.2, "Employer's First Report of Injury or Illness," and "NMSU Worker's Compensation Supervisor Accident Investigation Report.(link)"  Upon completion, these and the NOA-1 form must be submitted to the NMSU Worker Compensation Coordinator, Campus Health Center, MSC 3EHS, within 24-hours even if medical attention is not required.

When completing the forms, give a detailed description of what happened.  Include the names and phone numbers of any witnesses to the incident.  Include whether Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) was required by the task and if PPE was used.  Also include the dates of recent safety training.  This then provides the necessary information to identify the root cause and prevent future incidents or near misses.

Getting Medical Attention

If there is an injury at work or an illness believed to be work-related, report to Campus Health Center. If immediate attention is required, do not wait for the injury/illness report to be completed. However, for exposure to chemicals or chemical products, take with you a copy of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for the material involved. The supervisor should obtain a copy from the depart- mental work files.

Campus Health Center (646-1512/6601) is located at corner of Stewart & Breland Streets. The current hours for Campus Health Center are:

     Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 11 am, Walk-in hours
                                1:30 - 4:30 pm,     Appointment and
                                                              Walk-in hours

NMSU requires that an injured employee see an University Health Services provider first for all medical care and for any specialist referrals for a work related injury. Exceptions are:

1. A need for immediate hospital emergency care
2. A serious injury occurring after clinic hours
3. An injury occurring outside the Las Cruces area

If any of the above occur, contact the NMSU Worker Compensation Coordinator (646-7375) and University Health Services (646-1512) within 24-hours in order to coordinate all follow-up medical care (WC Procedures).

Employees located off-campus and outside the Las Cruces area should report to the nearest emergency medical facility. Documentation must be sent to the WC Coordinator,
c/o Campus Health Center, MSC 3529, P.O. Box 30001, NMSU, Las Cruces. [section updated 2012]