Requirements & regulations:
- Fire extinguisher training for all NMSU employees is
required under Title 29 of the Code of Federal Regulations (29CFR Part 1910.157) and under
the 1994 National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Life Safety Codes (part 101).
use & recharge
- Discharged (broken seal or loss of pressure), damaged, and
missing fire extinguishers should be reported immediately to the PPD Work Order Desk
- The Fire Protection Section of PPD is responsible for
recharging, hydrostatic testing, selection, and distribution of fire extinguishers.
with Fire Extinguisher or Alarms
- The act of tampering with or disabling a fire extinguisher,
alarm, or any fire safety equipment is a violation of the NFPA Life Safety Code and
punishable by up to $500 fine and up to 1 year in jail.
location & mounts
- OSHA and NFPA standards require that fire extinguishers be
mounted in a designated location, typically with the top of the handle 40 inches above the
floor. The standards require that extinguishers are available when needed and that
employees are not subjected to injury hazards when they try to obtain an extinguisher.