Memo: August 31, 2000
To: NMSU or Interested Parties
From: Katrina Doolittle, Director, Environmental Health & Safety
Policy: Cannon Firing Activities
The NMSU Activity Request Form must be completed, signatures obtained and permit
authorized by NMSU Police Department prior to performance of any potentially hazardous
activity. The following safety information is required specifically for cannon firing
activities and must be submitted in conjunction with the Activity Request Form.
- Certification of safe gun tube by manufacturer or qualified inspector (such as Material
& Tests Equipment Center, National Guard or metallurgist)
- Identification of the type of charge and how it is standardized.
- Identification of the type of approved container for storage of ammunition.
- Written assessment of the hazards to personnel operating the cannon and to others in the
- Written standard operating procedures including loading procedure, personal protective
equipment and safety precautions.
- Written training records for operators.
- Identification of the danger blast area and method to be used to control the area of
- Description of the cannon firing activity including placement and direction of cannon
and frequency to be fired.
- Identification of the responsible University advisor or approved representative.
- Noise level evaluation and method of compliance with applicable safety standards. The
NMSU Environmental Health & Safety office will provide some noise level evaluation as
equipment and personnel permits.