Each day an on-call counselor is available to assist with crisis situations. This person is available from 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. At all times we make room to deal with emergencies. Please come to our office or give us a call and let us know your needs.
If You Are Experiencing A Crisis
- During our business hours listed above, you are welcome to come directly to our office to meet with a counselor for assistance.
- When you arrive, tell the front office staff that you would like to meet with the on-call counselor.
- You will be asked to fill out some brief paperwork. This will include a section where you are asked to write a short description of your concerns and can give the on-call counselor an opportunity to prepare some resources.
- Typically you will be able to meet with the on-call counselor almost immediately after you finish your paperwork, but please be patient if there is a short wait, you will be seen as soon as possible.
We understand that a crisis can happen at any time, day or night. If you or someone you know is in crisis at a time or place where we may not be available to assist, there are several after-hours emergency resources available in the community.
We also have staff available to provide services for any student organization or group who experiences a trauma or loss. Please contact the Counseling Center to consult with our on-call counselor about how we can be of service.
Someone You Know May Be In Crisis
As an NMSU community member you likely have close contact with many of your peers as classmates, roommates, friends, or just someone you happen to pass in the hallway every day. You may find yourself feeling worried about someone if you notice them acting differently, learn about tragic/traumatic things that have happened to them recently, or just have an instinctual feeling that something is wrong. It is ok to show your concern and encourage that person to seek help, whether that involves Counseling Center services or other resources.
***If your concerns have to do with a faculty/staff member, we would not be able to see that person because we are providing services to students. You would be able to refer that person to the NMSU Employee Assistance Program at (575) 646-6603***
- New Mexico State University Counseling Center
- Hours: Monday—Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Garcia Annex, Room 100
- MSC 3575/ P.O. Box 30001, Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001