We encourage candidates to decide if this internship correlates with their interests and competencies, and to determine their eligibility to apply based on the following criteria.
Candidates must be doctoral students in APA or CPA accredited Counseling or Clinical Psychology programs who have completed A MINIMUM OF 400 HOURS OF DIRECT SERVICE AND 200 HOURS INDIRECT SERVICE IN PRE-INTERNSHIP SETTINGS BY THE TIME OF APPLICATION. AT LEAST ONE OF THE PRE-INTERNSHIP SETTINGS SHOULD BE IN A UNIVERSITY COUNSELING CENTER. In addition to having completed all required coursework prior to beginning the internship, prospective interns must have successfully completed their comprehensive examinations.
Number of Positions/Time Frame of Internship
- There are four full-time, 12-month internship positions available. All interns are required to complete at least 2,000 hours (500 must be direct service) in order to satisfactorily finish the internship.
- The training year will begin August 1 and end July 31.
Stipends and Benefits
- The stipend is $22,368 for the internship training year
- Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
- Annual Leave (Vacation)
- Sick leave
- Dissertation release time
- Professional development time
- Off on all University approved holidays
- Access to University resources including Campus Health Center and Employee Assistance Program services
- 365 days of sunshine
The NMSU Internship Program adheres to the Match Policies established by the Association of Psychology, Postdoctoral and Internship Centers (APPIC). Specifically, this internship agrees to abide by the APPIC Policy that no person at this training facility will solicit, accept or use any ranking-related information from any intern applicant. Click here to view the APPIC Match Policies.
The application process will occur on-line (see the APPIC website for more details). All application materials will be uploaded via the applicant portal on the APPIC website. We will not accept any paper materials. To be considered for internship at the NMSU Counseling Center (Program Code Number 143811), your online application must include the following elements:
- Completed AAPI (Application for Psychology Internship)
- Letter of interest
- Current vita
- Graduate school transcripts
- Three letters of reference from professionals who are familiar with your clinical/counseling skills and academic performance. At least two of these letters should be from individuals who directly supervised your practicum experience and one from your academic advisor (or equivalent) addressing your recent academic work.
Please note that due to institutional requirements, a background check may be required prior to the start date of the internship.
Maria Arizaga, Ph.D.
Associate Director, Training
New Mexico State University
Garcia Annex, MSC 3575
Las Cruces, NM 88003
(575) 646-2731 (phone)
(575) 646-1975 (fax)
- December 1
- Interview Notification Date: December 15
- Open House Date: January 10, 2013; 1 to 3 pm
- New Mexico State University Counseling Center
- Hours: Monday—Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Garcia Annex, Room 100
- MSC 3575/ P.O. Box 30001, Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001