Room Renewal- Roommates
Roommate selection will take place from March 1- March 31, 2012.
You may select your roommate(s) on myHousing beginning March 1st. If you have a roommate currently, be sure to coordinate your Room Rodeo participation. Many roommates choose to stay together through their college career - see below for information about how to select your roommate. If you intend to stay in the space you occupy now, but plan to select a different roommate, you may do so only if your current roommate is moving. In other words, you won’t be able to “bump” your current roommate out of your room by selecting a different roommate. Talk with your roommate and, if you need help having this conversation, contact your Community Assistant (CA) or Resident Director in time to work through your concerns before Room Rodeo begins.
You do not have to have a roommate or apartment-mate to participate in Room Rodeo but if you will be choosing a roommate or apartment-mate, there are a few things you need to consider:
- You (and your requested roommates) become part of a group. All roommate requests must be mutual (all roommates must request each other in myHousing). Once you and your roommates have been matched in myHousing, only one member of your group needs to make a space selection in myHousing. When one member makes a selection of a room or apartment, all group members will be assigned to that selection. Of the spaces available in a community, only those rooms or apartments capable of accommodating your group will be available for your selection. You may add or remove roommates throughout the room selection process, until an assignment has been confirmed. Once your assignment is confirmed, no additional group member changes may occur.
- Additional steps are necessary if you are selecting someone as a roommate who does not currently live on campus: (1) Your prospective roommate must apply for campus housing for Fall 2013. (2) Make the Housing Office aware that your potential roommate has applied so that we can add them to the selection process. (3) Once your potential roommate is added to the process, each of you must request each other as roommates in the myHousing system. (4) As the current campus resident, you will need to make the space selection for your roommate group. Be sure your roommate qualifies for the space you are selecting. As an example, a first-time freshman is not eligible for a campus apartment.
If you are unsure who you want to room with, you have two options: 1) You can find a roommate using RoomSync, or 2) we will match you with a roommate based on gender, age and smoking preference.
To request a roommate:
- Whether you find your roommate using RoomSync or already know who you want to room with, you MUST make your roommate match OFFICIAL using your MyHousing account.
- Log into myHousing using your myNMSU username and password.
- Once you are logged-in, you will see an overview of your spring semester housing assignment information. Please verify the email address listed as this is the address to which important messages will be sent to you throughout the room and roommate selection process. You should see FA13 Renewal in the “My Future Room Selection Process” section. Ignore the “not set” note under Start Time.
- Click on Roommate Selection in the left sidebar. Enter as much of your prospective roommate’s information as possible and click Request Student as Roommate. You may request up to three roommates individually by following these steps for each request.
- All roommate requests must be mutual. The Matching Request box in the Existing Roommate Request section will indicate “Does Not Match” until your requested roommate also selects you through their myHousing account. Once a mutual request is completed, the Matching Request box message will change to “YES”.
- Once all your Matching Request messages change to “YES”, you may begin selecting rooms or apartments according to the Community Selection Schedule.
- Please Note: after room selection has occurred, all group members should confirm their Fall 2013 assignment by logging into their myHousing account.
- NMSU Department of Housing and Residential Life
- Phone: 575 646-3202 Fax: 575 646-7811
- Educational Services Center, Suite H
- Housing and Residential Life, MSC 3BB / P.O. Box 30001, Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001