1. Who can use RoomSync?
RoomSync is available to new students who have applied for a residence hall space (Pinon, Garcia, Monagle and Rhodes Garrett Hamiel) or an apartment space (Chamisa Village, Vista del Monte and Cervantes Village) for the 2013-2014 academic year. The RoomSync groups for new students are open from February 15th through July 15th.
RoomSync is also available for current students renewing into their same space or selecting a new space for the 2013-2014 academic year. The RoomSync groups for returning on-campus residents looking for a new roommate are open from March 1 through March 31.
2. What is the roommate matching process?
After a student applies for housing and is assigned to a residential community, an email will be sent to your NMSU email account 1) to let you know the residential community you have been assigned to; and 2) containing a link to join the RoomSync group for your residential community.
3. How does RoomSync work?
After you click the link sent to your NMSU email account, you will be taken to the RoomSync application page.
- If you are not already logged into Facebook, enter the email address associated with your Facebook account.
- Click the blue “Go To App” button.
- Click the blue “Allow” button (allowing the application to access your contact information).
- Enter your Lifestyle Preferences and Ideal Roommate Information and click the blue “Next” button at the bottom of the page.
- Select your Major and click the blue “Next” button.
- Optional: Select an Living Learning or Theme Community under the Housing drop down section
- Enter information about yourself and your ideal roommate.
- Follow prompts. When you get to the final page, click the blue “Find a Roommate” button and start searching!!
You may be prompted for a five digit RoomSync code. You can find this code by logging into your MyHousing account.
4. What happens after I find my roommate on RoomSync?
After you find your roommate on RoomSync and match, you will receive a series of emails confirming your match and also containing further instructions. It is important to note that you must log back into your myhousing account to make your roommate request official with the Housing Office.
To make your roommate request official, login to your myhousing account using your myNMSU username and password. Click on ROOMMATE SELECTION in the left sidebar. Enter as much of your prospective roommate’s information as possible and click REQUEST STUDENT AS ROOMMATE. You may request up to three roommates individually by following these steps for each request.
All roommate requests must be mutual. The Matching Request box in the EXISTING ROOMMATE REQUEST section of myHousing will indicate DOES NOT MATCH until your requested roommate also selects you through their myHousing account. Once a mutual request is completed, the Matching Request box message will change to YES. The Housing Office will pick up matched roommate groups on a regular basis for room assignment.
If you have any questions, please contact the Housing & Residential Life main office at 575-646-3202 or via email at email@example.com.
5. How do I sign up for RoomSync and start searching for roommates?
There are a couple ways you can sign up for RoomSync:
- Click the join link sent to your NMSU email account
- Click on the RoomSync logo on our NMSU Housing Facebook Page . Note, this will require a special access code that you may get by logging into your MyHousing account or by contacting the Housing & Residential Life Office at 575.646.3202 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. I didn’t get a link sent to my email account? What happened?
Make sure you are checking your NMSU email account regularly for updates If you were assigned to a residential area for Fall 2013 and did not receive an email containing the link, please contact our office at 575-646-3202 or at email@example.com.
7. What is my deadline for finding a roommate on RoomSync?
Once you access RoomSync, please try to find and match with a roommate within two weeks. The quicker you match, the quicker you will be assigned a room. Those who have not chosen a roommate by July 15th will be automatically matched by NMSU Housing & Residential Life.
8. I don’t have a Facebook account. Can I still use RoomSync?
If you want to use the RoomSync application to find a roommate or meet other students living in your residential community, you must have a Facebook account.
9. Do I have to use RoomSync?
You do not have to use RoomSync if you don’t want to or if you don’t have a Facebook page. There are several options when it comes to roommate matching:
- If you already know who you want your roommate to be, you can bypass the RoomSync application and go directly to your myHousing account to make your roommate request official (see To make your roommate request official in Question #5).
- If you would like the Housing & Residential Life Office to automatically match you with a roommate, you don't need to do anything. We will automatically match you based on your sex, age and smoking preference. Once an assignment is made, you can find your roommates name and contact information on the overview page of your MyHousing account so you may contact them to coordinate move-in.
- Or you can use RoomSync as detailed above.
10. I want to live in a Living Learning Community. Can I still use RoomSync?
You can still use RoomSync to find your roommate. There is a drop down menu labeled 'Housing' that will allow you to select the LLC that you live in. Just make sure that the roommate you select is also interested and qualified for that same LLC. If you want to choose a roommate who is not interested in or qualified for your LLC, you will likely be placed in a room outside of your LLC. To verify LLC eligibility or if you have roommate questions, please contact the Housing Office at 575-646-3202 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. Now what?
- NMSU Department of Housing and Residential Life
- Phone: 575 646-3202 Fax: 575 646-7811
- Educational Services Center, Suite H
- Housing and Residential Life, MSC 3BB / P.O. Box 30001, Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001