CONSTITUTION OF THE
INTERFAITH COUNCIL AT NMSU
(formerly known as Campus Ministries Association since 1988)
As amended November 6, 1997 and April 4, 2013
ARTICLE I. The proper name of the organization is
InterFaith Council. It serves New Mexico State University and Dona
Ana Branch Community College. In the remainder of this document it will
be referred to as IC.
ARTICLE II. The PURPOSE of the organization is
ARTICLE III. Membership
- Provide for the spiritual needs of the University Community.
- Foster mutual cooperation among the various member organizations.
- Serve as a resource to the University Community.
ARTICLE IV. Officers and Committees
- QUALIFICATIONS - Any religious organization involved in the
life of the campus community may apply for memberhip in the IC if it:
- Subscribes to the purpose of the IC as described in ARTICLE
II of this constitution.
- Refrains from proselytizing through the IC.
- Is affiliated with a recognized parent organization, is open and
honest in identifying itself, and its relationship with parent
- Professes a sound and consistent theology that edifies the University
- Is prepared to commit itself to active participation in the
- ACCEPTANCE - Membership application will be made by submitting
a written application form, and by attending an IC meeting to make a
formal, oral presentation. Members will have the opportunity to question
the representative. Membership will be granted upon the approval of 2/3
of the IC members present at the meeting where the application is
- ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP - Associate Memberships (non-voting) may
be granted by IC.
- MEMBERSHIP TERM AND DUES - Membership term in IC will be for a
period of one year and will be from August 1 through the last day in
July. Annual dues will be set by a vote of the members at the
May business meeting each year, and will be due by the date of
the September business meeting each year. Membership will consist of those
having paid dues by the September business meeting. An organization
admitted during the term will pay prorated dues. Dismissal and/or
resignation will not result in a refunding of dues paid. Associate
members will not be required to pay dues.
- RESIGNATIONS, DISMISSALS - Member organizations who have missed
four or more meetings in the IC membership term will be invited to present
to the February meeting of the IC the reasons why they should not be
dropped from membership. 2/3 of those present must approve dismissal by
ARTICLE V. Meetings - Monthly Business Meetings shall be
held at 8:00 AM on the 1st Thursday of each month, September - May, or
other times and/or days as mutually agreed upon by the members.
- The officers of the IC shall consist of President, President - Elect,
Executive Counselor (past president), Secretary and Treasurer. The term
of office shall be from June 1 to May 31. All members are encouraged to
serve as officers.
- Committees will be appointed and function as needed by the IC.
ARTICLE VI. Parliamentary Authority - Parliamentary
Authority shall be vested in the Member organizations of IC. Each
organization shall have one vote on any question. A quorum (33% of the
members) must be present to conduct business. Business may only be
transacted at a duly called meeting with proper notification.
ARTICLE VII. Amendment Procedures - This constitution may
be amended by 2/3 vote of the IC members present at a duly called meeting
with proper notification.
Organizations represented at the Constitutional Amending
Meeting - 6 November 1997
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Etz Chayim - Tree of Life Messianic Jewish Congregation
Intervarsity Christian Fellowship - USA
Lutheran Campus Fellowship (Peace Lutheran)
Lutheran Student Fellowship (Missouri Synod)
Newman Center (Catholic)
Presbyterian Campus Ministry
Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)
Unitarian Universalist Church
Wesley Student Center (Methodist)
(Article III, Paragraph E ammended by vote of the membership at a duly
constituted meeting of the Council on February 10, 2011. The word
"January" was changed to "Februray" since the Council no longer
normally meets during the month of January.)
This page last updated 2 May 2013. Maintained by
InterFaith Council webmaster, Jim Ficklin, email@example.com.