NMSU homepage

EH&S (home)

Previous Meeting

April 19, 2000

Next Meeting


MEMBERS PRESENT: Katrina Doolittle, Gregory Phillips, Angela Velasco, David Haley, Chevo Chavira, Robert Rhodes, and Mary Ellen Hunner (for Patricia Frank).


GUEST: Michael O’Leary, Assistant Director, Athletic Health Services


The Safety Committee was called to order at 3:35 p.m. by Chair Richard Long.



Richard Long briefly discussed the Safety Policy and he advised to have an attorney look at it.


Katrina Doolittle stated that the Safety Office is offering training and the schedule had been distributed through ABCD e-mail and hard copy but was not sure the information was being distributed any further.  Angela Velasco was asked if a copy of the training schedule could also go in the Employee Orientation pamphlet.  To create visibility to safety training, Katrina recommended putting an article in Page One. 


Katrina addressed the poor attendance to the committee meetings, asking members for input on how to handle the problem.  Richard Long stated that there is no set requirement in the AP&P Manual regarding attendance.  He stated that the committee as a whole could recommend setting guide lines or by-laws to be recorded in the AP&P.  Richard Long will draft a letter to members asking them to send an alternate to the meetings when they cannot attend.


Katrina discussed the Ad-hoc committee setup by President Conroy to evaluate policy for  hazardous activities that are not formally reviewed.  She questioned why this was not given to the University Safety Committee and stated that more visibility is required for the committee.


Chevo Chavira suggested creating a newsletter for safety news and maybe attach highlights of the minutes.  He will bring an illustration of the copy cat format.  Chevo stated that he would put a Safety Trade Show together to promote the Safety Committee and create visibility.



Michael O’Leary (guest) had concerns regarding lightning safety with players on the playing fields and no formal guidelines in place at present.  Katrina made a motion to put forth an Ad Hoc Committee to recommend policy or guide lines regarding lightning safety.  Robert Rhodes seconded the motion, which passed unanimously.  Mr. O’Leary will head the Ad-Hoc Committee and invite representatives from affected areas.


Richard Long read an e-mail that was handed to him by a chairman of the ACAP.  The e-mail was asking the university to adopt a smoke free building entrance policy.  The e-mail stated that smokers should be at least 100 ft away from any entrance.  Katrina advised members that the smoke from smokers at this level should not be a safety risk. David Haley volunteered to find out if other universities have this policy in place. 


Angela stated that there has been many claims regarding ergonomics.  She asked if there were any problems for State Risk Management to come provide an ergonomic training.   Richard Long made a motion to support a team of four individuals from State Risk Management to provide ergonomic training on campus.  David Haley seconded the motion, which passed unanimously.


There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 5:00 P.M..  The next University Safety Committee meeting will be September 13, 2000.


Respectfully Submitted,


Bea Pacheco


Beatrice M. Pacheco


More Safety News