NMSU homepage EH&S (home)

Meeting Summary

Communicable Disease Preparedness Committee
Previous Meeting
  

Date
June 9,
2009

Next Meeting

 Meeting Summary  Prior announcements

Members Present:

Randey Bamford, Lori McKee, Timothy Dobson, Katrina Doolittle, Lorin Gobble, John Balog, Michael Abernethy, Sidney Webb

Members Absent:

Mike O’Larey, Nancy Baptiste, Darrell Smith, Tammy Anthony, D’Anne Stuart, Rene Yoder, Manuela Quezada-Aragon, Joe Palmer, Teresa Burgin, Amy Collins, Ronald Fisher, Connie DeBlieck, Pamela Schultz, Angela Arvizo, Scott Southward, Albert Parra, Ida Baca, Stephen Lopez, Ronald Fisher, Jeff Witte; Hugo Vilchis, Carmen Gonzales; Julie Weber, Maureen Howard, Marry Simmons, Billy Dictson, Alfred Valdez, Benjamin Diven

The meeting began at 3:08 PM.

I. K. Doolittle thanked everyone for attending.

II. The meeting summary of April 14, 2009 was accepted without comment.

III. Old Business

a. Draft Policy- Human Resource Practices in Univ State of Emergency – status, comments on changes:

K. Doolittle reviewed changes to the draft policy noting that specific references to faculty were removed but they are included in the exempt/salaried group. It would be up to each Dean/Vice President and HR to determine eligibility for compensation for overtime for exempt/salaried employees based on the current HR policy for hardship differential. L. McKee stated that the element of risk should be factored into the compensation by recognizing that healthcare providers would be constantly exposed to patients throughout the event. K. Doolittle remarked that compensation for salaried persons would be at the regular base pay for their job unless they were working outside of their unit and other arrangements were approved by HR. Hourly personnel would be eligible for overtime for hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week, which is standard policy. L. McKee repeated that the level of risk is increased and should be recognized in addition to the extended work hours.

L. Gobble clarified that the respective department will identify their essential positions and personnel that will fill the essential positions. K. Doolittle noted that HRS will need to include the essential personnel designation at the next update of job descriptions. She said the draft HR policy review would go through the Admin Council and ACAP. If approved by Admin Council it will be ratified by Board of Regents at some later date. She then said the telecommuting was incorporated into the draft policy for use during a University State of Emergency.

Katrina noted that the primary comment from members of Admin Council related to the draft policy containing procedures and Katrina agreed to tease out the policy from the procedure and present for next months Admin Council.

b. Continuity of Operation Plans –

i. Updated CoOP- DFES, Police Dept, Dean of Students , Campus Dining.

ii. New CoOP - Department of Chemistry& Biochemistry

a. Katrina brought out that Chemistry needed back-up power generating capability and asked Tim Dobson to take that under planning consideration as other research labs would have the same needs.

b. Chemistry CoOP also brought out the need for security of equipment and materials, and the ability to work from home.

iii. Electronic tool, software development and PMO. There was not update because Teresa/DAnne were unable to attend the meeting. R. Bamford said he will follow up with Teresa on modifying the Berkeley freeware and getting on the PMO list.

iv. K. Doolittle will send updated CoOP template to members of Admin Council per their request (telecommuting was added).

c. Consumables that cannot be purchased “just in time” (hand sanitizers, N 95 respirators).

L. McKee suggested NMSU buy direct to save money and that central funding would be needed. Currently, the health centers provide masks to in-patients. Outstanding orders remain unfilled. The health centers will use surgical masks instead of N-95 respirators. She said expectations need to be identified.

L. Gobble said that budget request for funding would be needed. L. McKee said that A/H1N1 is expected to emerge again in the fall. K. Doolittle suggested that supplies could be purchased through a central budget that could be back-charged to departments.

M. Abernethy said departments must have funds available. He said when students return, custodial will need these supplies. An outbreak scenario would require reserve funding and that T. Dobson needs to identify such funds for cleaning supplies.

L. McKee remarked that areas that are high-risk for exposure should self-clean their work areas instead of custodial personnel and the health centers disinfect their work areas and counters nightly. She said NMSU warehouse should stockpile tissues and Germ-X (alcohol based hand sanitizer). She said we should not rely on local retailers to have sufficient quantity of these materials on-hand and projecting our needs is a challenge.

M. Abernethy asked L. McKee for product specifications and that he would investigate and provide cost and delivery expectations. L. McKee said the health centers would not supply the campus population with masks or other supplies, noting she only budgets for the in-house needs of the clinic. She suggested a stockpile of supplies be maintained for use by custodial and essential personnel.

d. Executive Seminar: Prevention of and Response to, and Recovery from Campus Emergencies – update. K. Doolittle was uncertain if NMSU could enroll the minimum 30- number of attendees for the two day duration of this training course.

i. Survey results: This item was tabled.

ii. Communication of allowance for tissue and hand sanitizer purchase w/dept funds- Business procedures manual updated. L. Gobble stated that the manual will be updated to inform departments that funds can be used to purchase facial tissues and hand sanitizers.

IV. New Business:

a. Seasonal flu vaccine. L. McKee said the vaccination program will again be available this fall. She wondered if the new A/H1N1 vaccine would be covered under health insurance plans and noted that approximately 25% of NMSU personnel opt out of health insurance coverage. She said there are no funds allocated to supplement current insurance plans. She also said that the health centers would make the flu vaccine available at cost to entice as many persons as possible to get vaccinated, but she does not want to be stuck with excess vaccine. She noted that there may be an opportunity to set up for remote vaccine delivery sites across campus.

The following items were tabled for the next meeting. _

  1. NMSU Personnel travel during outbreaks.
  2. Enforcing sick leave for ill employee.
  3. Provisions for work from home (fringe benefits, telecommuting under normal operations)
  4. When Pigs learn to Fly or Dealing with Panic Flu

The meeting adjourned at 4:00PM

The CDPC will not meet until August 11, 2009 at 3 pm

  More Safety News 

Contact Information 
 Environmental Health& Safety: MSC-3578, P.O. Box 30001, Academic Research Bldg. C, Rm. 109
    Street delivery address: NMSU, 1620 Standley Dr., Academic Research Bldg. C, Las Cruces, NM 88003
    Training Office: Academic Research Unit C, rm110 (see map ), 
    Telephone: 575-646-3327; FAX: 575-646-7898. Website - http://www.nmsu.edu/safety
    Send email to David Shearer, EH&S (click here) with questions or comments about this web site. 
   
This page was last updated on 08/08/2008