Respiratory Safety Program
NMSU Respiratory Safety Program
Summary Steps: Before you can be use a respirator as an NMSU employee
(for NMSU work), you must be certified by NMSU Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S). Follow these steps.
|What to do
||How to do it
Inhalation health hazards as noted on
chemical's MSDS is often the first indication that respirator
protection is needed.
If the task has not been evaluated for hazards (e.g. new projects
involving solvents and other volatile compounds)
request a workplace evaluation.
- Attendance at a NMSU
Employee & Hazard Communication Safety class
is required prior to the respirator safety class. This will help determine
if you are working with hazardous materials or if respiratory protection
from harmful chemical vapors or fumes is required.
See class schedule
- EH&S can schedule an
evaluation of your workplace activities to help determine the most effective
and efficient means of respiratory protection for you. A respirator may not
- If respiratory protection is necessary for your work, follow the next step.
||Apply for medical approval.
- Print out and complete the form below:
- Send or deliver the completed forms to
University Health Center,
MSC 3EHS, PO Box 30001, Las
Cruces, NM, 88003 (Campus address - Genesis Center,
Building C, 3655 Research Drive). A physician or PA at Employee
health will review the forms and send medical approval or denial to
- If you are denied medical approval to wear a respirator,
your department may be able to arrange other means of respiratory protection.
- If you are medically approved, you should schedule to attend the next class (training calendar) on Respiratory Safety which will include:
- Training in proper use and care of your respirator
- Fit tested for a face piece and filters appropriate for
||Get fit tested and trained to use your new respirator.
- Attend EH&S class for respirator fit testing and training.
- When you satisfactorily pass the fit test, the respirator can be used by you.
- You will then be trained on:
- Fit, usage, and care of your respirator
- Limitations of respirators
- How to recognize medical signs and symptoms that may limit or prevent the effective use of your respirator
- Regulations governing respiratory protection in the workplace
- Men will generally need to be clean shaven along the parameter of the mask in order to pass the fit test for a half-mask or full face respirator.
Renew your respirator certification annually.
- Annual certification requires that you review the respirator safety standards (attend class & pass respirator safety quiz) and are re-fitted to your respirator. Your supervisor (or EH&S) will notify you when it is time for renewal.
||What to do when you no longer need your respirator.
- Return unwanted respirators to EH&S. Please include your name and department.
Send to EH&S Office, MSC 3578, NMSU, Las Cruces, NM
Questions regarding NMSU's Respiratory Protection Program?
Contact EH&S, (575) 646-3327. |