UPDATE: EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM
TESTING – Fall Semester
A test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) which now integrates components
from both phone network notification system and computer based notifications
is performed during the fall semester. One of the objectives is to
familiarize the campus with different routes to obtain information in any type
In the event of an emergency, the Incident Command (IC) has the capability
through Police Dispatch to quickly notify specific groups or buildings emergency
information via a phone message. University Communications will provide updates
and specific guidance as information becomes available. These complementary
systems include the following components.
The phone network allows Police Department to send a voice message to
specific groups depending on the situation. These groups include:
- All campus
- Student residences
- University offices
- CART (Central Administration Response Team)
- Emergency responders and resource personnel
- Specific buildings by name
1. The web log present on emergency.nmsu.edu will be updated by
University Communications based on information provided by the Incident Command
in charge of the emergency response. The IC could be Fire, Police or Medical
Director. Also the weblog could include information from Adminstration or the
2. This information will be available to anyone.
NMSU information phone line 646-1000
1. The NMSU information phone line 646-1000 will be updated by
University Communications with information provided by the Incident Command.
The IC could be Fire, Police or Medical Director. Also the weblog could
include information from adminstration or the CART
2. This information will be available to anyone calling that number.
1. The myNMSU portal has a feature that allows University Communications
to quickly post announcements under the “NMSU Announcements” on the “Home” tab
of the portal.
2. This information is only available to NMSU students and employees.
NMSU Home Page
1. The “Campus News and Events” column on the NMSU home page can be used
by University Communications to post public information.
2. This information is available to anyone.
1. University Communications can send critical information to “all
staff” or “all NMSU”.
2. The information will be accessed via email.
For more information please review the Safety & Security page at www.nmsu.edu/~safety/emergency.htm , call
Environmental Health and Safety at 646-3327, or check the following links to the NMSU
system and the vendor's system description.